The downtown Reno post office was designed by Frederick DeLongchamps in 1932 and opened in 1934.
At John Ascuaga’s Nugget Hotel Casino in Sparks, the pool and spa beckon guests. The indoor atrium pool at the John is a relaxing break for the winter months and for cooling off during the summer.
The National Automobile Museum (The Harrah Collection) has more than 200 cars with authentic street scenes and sounds.
In a particularly cold winter Donner Lake might freeze, unlike Lake Tahoe, its much deeper neighbor to the south.
Blackwood Canyon, located on the west side of Lake Tahoe, is great for hiking, cross-country skiing and snow play.
Ron Bommarito took over the Genoa Antique Shop in 1969. He focuses on all types of historic objects, but is mainly interested in collecting things that represent the history of the West.
Trinity Episcopal Church in Reno sits alongside the Truckee River at the corner of Island Avenue and Rainbow Street.
Built in 1877, the building was sold to Myron Lake in 1879. His toll bridge, the first commercial crossing of the Truckee, provided a name, “Lake’s Crossing,” for the settlement that was to become Reno.
Built in 1913 as the Gibbons Mansion, the home was purchased by up-and-coming Nevada lawyer, judge, and politician Pat McCarran in 1921.
Done in cooperation with Reno Now and Then book authors Neal Cobb and Jerry Fenwick, this 2008 project used historic photographs and their modern counterparts to create animated morphs of the changes in the Reno area.
Photographs by Students at the Reynolds School of Journalism
Virtual-reality environments created by students from the Reynolds School of Journalism at the University of Nevada, Reno. The classes working on these projects are JOUR 313 (Photojournalism), and JOUR 451-651 (Interactive Media).