The Our Lady of Wisdom Newman Center is on the UNR campus, between the Argenta and Peavine residence halls. While its main focus is on college students, the Newman Center is also a local parish of the Catholic Diocese of Reno. The baptismal font was replaced and the sanctuary was rearranged in 2016 to provide a more communal worship space. The Newman Center first opened in 1948 as St. Albert the Great. It grew so large it became its own parish in 1965. It once had a second floor and a choir loft, but they were removed in the late 1970s to provide room for the growing number of parishioners.